Blaze battled at butcher’s shop

February 28, 1991 — Luray firefighters battled a blaze Feb. 20 at a butcher shop and storage building on Va. 655 east of Luray belonging to Charles Atkins.

The blaze occurred around 3:25 a.m., according to Luray Fire Chief Dan Seal. Seal said the building and its contents were a complete loss and the value was estimated at about $50,000. The chief said the cause of the fire was a malfunction in electrical wiring in the building’s ceiling.

Some 26 men were on the scene for over two hours.

~ From the public archives of the Page News and Courier

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.