June 24, 1965 — A cemetery more than a century old east of Luray is scheduled to be moved for the dual laning of U.S. 211 from the Blue Ridge Mountains to Luray corporate limits.
The quarter-acre cemetery was reserved in 1894 by John and Victoria Zirkle when they sold land to R.S. Beach, but the area had previously been used for burial.
The earliest burial shown by a tombstone is 1853.
The Highway Department is trying to locate persons able to give information of others buried there.
Over 30 graves are included in the small enclosure.
Known as the Holmes Cemetery, the area was once a historical landmark.
~ From the public archives of the Page News and Courier