March 22, 1990 — The Luray Volunteer Fire Department is kicking off a $500,000 fund campaign for its new headquarters building on East Main Street.
The proposed new structure will provide expanded administrative quarters, three double-door equipment bays, a service area and a second floor assembly room at the site adjacent to the Norfolk Southern Railroad crossing at the intersection of Page and Zerkel streets.
Plans call for a special public display room fronting on East Main which will house “Old No. 1” — the department’s first pumper purchased in 1928.
Work on the project is expected to begin by mid-summer.
~ From the public archives of the Page News and Courier
Be the first to comment