April 4, 1889 — The store house and dwelling at Grove Hill, belonging to William Kite, and occupied by William Koontz, as a dwelling, and by J.J. Shaver as a store, was destroyed by fire last Friday, March 29, about 1 o’clock.
Mr. Koontz lost all of his household property, and Mr. Shaver, nearly all of his stock of goods. He estimates his loss at $2,000.
There was no insurance on the building, stock of goods, nor Mr. Koontz’s household property, and the loss falls especially hard on Mr. Shaver and Mr. Koontz.
The building caught fire from a spark on the roof, and it burned rapidly, destroying it in 30 minutes after the fire was discovered.
~ From the public archives of the Page News and Courier
Be the first to comment