September 11, 1890 — A syndicate of our townsmen, composed of Messrs. Walter Campbell, D.F. Kagey, Judge A.J. Brand, Wm. L. Hudson, S.J. Richey, L.H. Keller, C.T. Holtzman, and S.A. Walton, have purchased from the executors of Martin Biedler, dec’d., the beautiful farm of 272 acres, on that part of the Blue Ridge near Marksville known as “Tanner’s Ridge,” and will immediately organize a company for the purpose of establishing a summer resort at that point.
The land is well adapted to the purpose, being 2,200 feet above sea level and commanding a magnificent view of the Page Valley, the Blue Ridge and the Massanutton range.
The property is easily accessible, being only 50 minutes drive from Sands Station, and a little over two hours drive from Luray by way of Marksville.
A saw mill will be placed on the grounds at once and sufficient timber sawed for hotel and cottage buildings, so that the same may be up and ready for use next season.
~ From the public archives of the Page News and Courier
Be the first to comment