March 31, 1887 — From parties who have visited it we hear there are evident traces of an extensive Indian camping ground west of the Shenandoah River near the residence of Mr. Jos. T. Strickler.
On the bank of the river, covering a distance of about a half mile, are to be seen circles of stone about three feet in diameter, the stone being imbedded in the earth, evidently used for the camp fires of the aboriginal inhabitants of this valley.
They seem to have been covered for a long time by a heavy bank of sand, which was washed away by the flood in the Shenandoah in 1870.
Mr. Andrew J. Campbell, of Luray, who has recently visited the spot discovered many Indian relics in the shape of arrowheads, tomahawks, hatchets, pottery, etc.
~ From the public archives of the Page News and Courier