September 7, 1961 — Just after midnight Sunday morning the fire alarm sounded for a fire at the old unused ice factory in Shenandoah.
The factory which was about 75 feet across the N&W Railroad tracks from the station, was in full blaze by the time the alarm was turned in.
The building was erected in 1906 and was operated as a canning factory by a Mr. Stillwell for about four years. It was then sold to the Rev. M.A. Ashby and was still used as a cannery for another four years, and was then bought by J.P. Hockman, who operated it also as a cannery until 1915 or 1916.
It was then bought by W.S. Long, who moved his ice making machinery to the building. Mr. Long sold out to the Luray Ice Company and they leased it to the late Harry Karnes. After his death, Mrs. Karnes bought the building in 1944. It has been used since that time for ice storage and an office for the coal company.
It was the biggest fire in Shenandoah since 1927 when the Shenandoah mill was burned. The Elkton and Stanley fire companies responded to the call to help battle the blaze.
~ From the public archives of the Page News and Courier
Be the first to comment