August 9, 1962 — In the near future Mr. and Mrs. L.J. Shandelson will open a new men’s and ladies’ apparel store next door to the old establishment, The Men’s Shop on East Main Street.
It will be known as Shandelson’s, a name that has been associated with the clothing business in Luray since 1896.
Israel Shandelson first operated a clothing store at the corner of West Main and North Bank streets. Later his sons, Sam and Lou, operated clothing stores at the same location. Sam carried on a ladies’ clothing store until the time of his death in 1959.
For the past 23 years Mr. and Mrs. L.J. Shandelson have operated The Men’s Shop which will be discontinued when they move to their new and larger quarters next door.
~ From the public archives of the Page News and Courier
Be the first to comment