~ PVN staff report
SHENANDOAH — After COVID-19 ruined their plans on Sept. 19, the Town of Shenandoah has rescheduled a special ceremony to honor Shenandoah resident Kate Gordon for 7 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 10.
“It will be held at the Shenandoah Memorial Ballpark, but in the chance of inclement weather, it will be held inside Page County High School’s common area,” reads a notice sent out Wednesday by Town Clerk Lora Jenkins.
The event will include a plaque presentation that officially naming Monday, Sept. 20, 2021 as “Kate Gordon Day” in the Town of Shenandoah.
Kate Gordon was already a softball legend at James Madison University before belting a few clutch home runs in the 2021 College Softball World Series in Oklahoma City back in early June. Gordon hit what would prove to be the winning home run in the Series opener against No. 1 Oklahoma. Prior to that home run, Gordon had not gotten a hit in her last 14 at-bats and was 2-for-24. The Dukes’ victory marked a major upset of “one of the best teams ever” in college softball in JMU’s first appearance in the World Series.
The next day, Gordon belted another solo hone run — this time in the third inning to give JMU a 2-0 lead — to help defeat No. 5 Oklahoma State. The former Page County High School standout belted two other deep shots, including one to the warning track, in a 1-for-3 effort. JMU was now 2-0 in the World Series, the first unseeded team to do so.
When the Dukes met up with the No. 1-ranked Sooners for a second time in the Series, Oklahoma would come out on top, but Gordon got the game off on a good note for JMU. Watch it HERE: https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=782356815737172
Among Gordon’s top collegiate accolades are:
• Named to the USA Softball Top 50 Watch List
• Named a 2021 Preseason First-Team All-American by D1 Softball
• VaSID All-State Player of the Year 2020
• Holds the JMU program career home run record with 53.
• Holds the highest career batting average and slugging percentage at JMU.
Gordon’s accolades at Page County High School include:
• In 2016, earned First Team All-District, District Player of the Year, First Team All-Region, 2A Region Player of the Year, First Team All-State, 2A State Player of the Year.
• Earned Most Valuable Player honor after leading the East Team to a come-from-behind victory in the 2016 Virginia High School Coaches Association All-State Game, closing the game with a home run and a double.
• In 2015, earned First Team Shenandoah All-District, District Player of the Year, All-Conference 35, All-Region B and VHSL All-State honors, while earning 2A State Player of the Year.
• In 2014, earned First Team All-Shenandoah District, All-Conference 35, All-Region B and VHSL All-State First team honors, while being named 2A State Player of the Year.
• In 2013, earned First Team All-Shenandoah District, All-Region B Group A honors and was named an All-State Honorable Mention.
Shenandoah plans for ‘Kate Gordon Day’ and other news briefs from council
Gordon does it again as JMU takes down #5 Oklahoma State
Gordon hits winning HR in 8th to beat #1 Oklahoma in World Series opener
T.R. Williams Day ~ Monday, Aug. 16, 2021
Shenandoah cuts ribbon for new equipment at WigWam Village park
Be the first to comment