Teen suffers burns after playing with lighter while pumping gas

Luray panoramic

January 4, 1962 — Word has been received here that George Orye, 18-year-old son of Mrs. Clarice Orye, of Stanley, recently accidentally set himself afire while playing with a cigarette lighter as he pumped gasoline into a car.

George, who works at the Thriftway Service Station, Miami, Fla., was rushed to Jackson Memorial Hospital with first degree burns of the legs. An unidentified passing motorist heard Orye’s screams, stopped and smothered the flames with his jacket.

Robert Cox, Orye’s supervisor, said the attendant had splashed some gasoline on his trousers about 9:30 a.m. while pumping gasoline. He was pumping gasoline into another car about 10 a.m. when the fire ignited. 

~ From the public archives of the Page News and Courier


TODAY IN HISTORY is a feature of PageValleyNews.com

~ Check the date of the story you just read!

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.