~ PVN staff report
SHENANDOAH, April 14 — Eight local athletes earned top honors at the Page Valley Invitational track and field meet hosted by Page County High School on April 14.
Luray’s Jaidyn McClung posted the top performance by winning four different events at the meet. The senior finished first in a field of 24 competitors in the 200-meter dash with a time of 28.18 seconds; bested 13 runners in the 100-meter hurdle in 16.88 seconds; outdistanced 22 others in the long jump at 16 feet, 3 inches; and stood alone in the triple jump at 34 feet, 6 inches.
The Bulldogs also saw sophomore Annah Whitmer win the girls 800-meter run with a time of 2:33.26 in a field of 18 competitors; while sophomore Davey Johnson won the boys 800 meters in 2:06.13 among 31 entries.
The hosting Page County Panthers earned two titles via senior Jacob Martz, who posted a mark of 6 feet, 2 inches in the high jump among 13 athletes, and members of the PCHS boys 4×400 relay team (names were not listed) with a time of 3:39.69 to finish first among 11 entries. Martz also earned second place in the boys 110 meter hurdles (16.10) in a field of 16, ninth in the triple jump (37.09.5) among 15, and 15th among 28 in the long jump (18.10).
Overall, East Rockingham took top honors as a team, earning first place in both the boys and girls divisions. Luray earned third place among the 11 girls team competing at the invitational, while Page finished seventh. On the boys side, Page County finished in fifth among 13 teams, while Luray came in seventh.
Other notable finishes among local athletes at the Page Valley Invitational include:
- PCHS junior Elizbeth Ramos earned second place in the discus (98.11) and third place in shot put (27.04.5).
- PCHS junior Summer Kite finished second in the 1600 meter run (5:55.28) and fifth in the 800 meter run (2:48.60)
- LHS junior Jenna McKay took fourth in the high jump (4.06), seventh in the triple jump (28.04), and 10th in the long jump (14.06).
- Other Top 5 finishers — LHS 4×400 relay took second place (4:28.65); LHS 4×100 relay finished in third place (57.30); PCHS 4×800 relay won third (15.31.45); LHS freshman Carolina Wood earned fourth in the 1600 meter run (6:11.81); LHS freshman Lucy Currie took fifth in the 100 meter hurdle (19.09).
- LHS 4×400 relay finished second (3:48.86), just eight seconds behind first-place Page.
- LHS 4×800 relay also finished second (9:02.5).
- PCHS senior Brett Paul Campbell took fourth place in 110 meter hurdles (17.04) and eighth in the triple jump (37.10).
- Other Top 5 finishers — PCHS freshman Aaron Hensley earned fourth place in the 1600 meter run (5:00.41); PCHS 4×100 relay won fourth (46.77); PCHS sophomore Ace Campbell earned fourth in the long jump (21.00); LHS sophomore Drayvin Stevens took fifth in the 400 meter dash (54.73); and LHS junior Eli Jones earned fifth in the 800 meter run (2:08.58).
For complete results from the Page Valley Invitational
held at PCHS on Friday, April 14, 2023,
McClung wins four events at Page Valley Invitational
Six Bulldogs earn All-State honors; three new school records set at VHSL Class 2 indoor meet
Be the first to comment