By Randy Arrington
HARRISONBURG, June 3 — Luray High School’s Davey Johnson won a state title in the 1600 meter run with a time of 4:28.68 at the VHSL Class 2 state track and field championship at James Madison University on June 2-3. Johnson’s victory on Saturday represents the only state championship — team or individual — earned by an athlete in the county this year.
The LHS sophomore has worked hard to get to this point. Twelve months ago, Johnson posted a state runner-up finish in the 800 meter run as a freshman. In November, he started his sophomore year with a second place finish at the state cross country meet, just under five seconds behind the state champion. Then in March, Johnson set a new school record in the 1000 meter run and took yet another “silver” at the state indoor track meet in Lynchburg. Now, the sophomore has attained his “gold medal” goal and brought a state championship home to Luray.
Page County’s Jacob Martz was close to a title with two state runner-up finishes. He earned second place in the 110 meter hurdles (:15.77), just a fraction of a second behind the state champion. The senior also earned All-State honors in the high jump as well with a three-way tie for state runner-up at 6-02, just two inches short of matching the state champion. The top three finishers in each event at the state meet earned All-State Honors. Martz also finished eighth in the 300 meter hurdles (:42.94), while Johnson finished 13th in the 800 meter run (2:08.76).
Luray’s Jaidyn McClung earned third place in the 300 meter hurdles with a time of :48.86. The senior also placed fifth in the 100 meter hurdles (:16.04), and seventh in the long jump (16-03). McClung signed with Bridgewater College to play volleyball this fall, but the three-sport athlete has earned All-State status in basketball and track, as well as volleyball. She also graduated from LHS this past weekend with a two-year associate’s degree already in hand from Laurel Ridge Community College.
Luray’s Annah Whitmer also earned All-State honors after finishing third in the 400 meter dash with a time of 1:02.06. The sophomore also finished 11th in the 800 meter run.
Other top finishes by local athletes at the VHSL Class 2 state track and field meet:
- 5th place — Luray boys 4×800 relay team (8:45.11)
- 6th place — PCHS junior Jenna McKay, high jump (4-10)
- 7th place — PCHS senior Brett Paul Campbell, 110 meter hurdles (:16.49); and LHS freshman Lucy Currle, high jump (4-08); and PCHS junior Elizabeth Ramos, discus (102-11).
During the Region 2B track and field championships held at East Rockingham High School on May 24, local athletes earned four region titles and placed 33 competitors among the Top 5 in their respective events.
Region 2B champions included:
- 1st place — PCHS senior Jacob Martz, high jump (6-02)
- 1st place — PCHS junior Summer Kite, 1600 meter run (5:44.57)
- 1st place — LHS senior Jaidyn McClung, 100 meter hurdles (16.01) and 300 meter hurdles (:48.21)
Among the Region 2B runner-ups in second place:
- LHS sophomore Davey Johnson, 800 meter run (2:00.54)
- LHS junior Eli Jones, 1600 meter run (4:47.20)
- PCHS senior Jacob Martz, 110 meter hurdles (:15.92)
- PCHS boys 4×400 meter relay team (3:38.48)
- PCHS boys 4×800 meter relay team (9:07.81)
- LHS sophomore Annah Whitmer, 400 meter dash (1:01.89)
- LHS senior Jaidyn McClung, long jump (16-04) and triple jump (34-06)
Click on the meet to view all the FINAL RESULTS of either the