~ PVN staff report
STANLEY, Feb. 26 — An officer with the Stanley Police Department was shot and killed by a suspect during a traffic stop on Friday afternoon in the 600 block of Judy Lane.
Page Valley News has been given the names of the suspect and the officer that was fatally wounded by an unofficial source, but PVN has been unable to confirm those identities with local law enforcement.
After the shooting on Judy Lane, the suspect reportedly fled on foot and was later corned by law enforcement in a field along Marksville Road. It was there that a deputy with the Page County Sheriff’s Office reportedly shot the suspect during a confrontation.
According to accounts by the Rockingham County First Alert Facebook page, the incident unfolded as follows (time refers to when it was posted):
- 3:23 p.m. — One officer vehicle hit multiple times
- 3:26 p.m. — Officer down, shooter in the woods
- 3:31 p.m. — Calling for as many officers as possible to set up a perimeter
- 3:34 p.m. — Suspect spotted on Judy Lane…suspect resides on Kite Hollow Road…may be heading to his house
- 4:03 p.m. — eyes on suspect
- 4:12 p.m. — Sounds like they have him cornered in barn on Marksville Road
- 4:17 p.m. — Suspect down
PVN will publish the identities of the shooter, the fallen officer and the deputy who shot the suspect when those names have all been confirmed through official sources.
The Page County Sheriff’s Office posted the following on its Facebook page late this afternoon:
“We have no words. Please pray for the family of our fallen brother, the Stanley Police Department, and our law enforcement family.”