BREAKING NEWS ~ Fire at LHS minor, building evacuated

Education news is sponsored by:


~ PVN staff report

LURAY — A furnace malfunction appears to be the cause of smoke that billowed from Luray High School on Monday afternoon.

A call came in shortly before 2 p.m. for a fire at LHS. Smoke was seen coming from the building around that time. According to one on-site report, smoke was seen in the commons area.

The building was evacuated shortly before 2 p.m. — but around 2:15 p.m., students and faculty were allowed back into the building.

No injuries have been reported, but fire units remained on the scene.

At 2:40 p.m., Page County Public Schools posted a notice about the evacuation of LHS “due to smoke inside the building.” The notice stated that fire officials “determined that a furnace had malfunctioned. They were able to remedy the situation quickly and we were permitted to safely re-enter the building.”

“We appreciate the swift response by local emergency services,” the notice from LHS Principal Nicky Clark continued. “We are also proud to say that our students and staff handled this situation beautifully.”

Top Post Ad

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.