January 28, 1965 — The family of Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Good lost their eight-room home and all its contents by fire about 11 o’clock Friday night of last week. The home was located on the road leading from the intersection to Battle Creek, about seven miles west of Luray.
Mrs. Good and seven of her 11 children, ranging in age from 16 years to 19 months, were at home when the fire occurred. All were able to get out of the house without injury.
However, a 4-year-old daughter, Wilma Lee, was trapped upstairs for a short time and was rescued by her mother. It is reported that she had to make two trips upstairs before she could bring the child to safety. As she was carrying the child from the blazing home, Mrs. Good fell off the front porch. She was admitted to the Page Memorial Hospital Saturday morning suffering from shock.
Mr. Good, who is employed by the Continental Transfer Lines in Baltimore, Md., was not at home but arrived Saturday morning.
The Luray Fire Department answered the alarm at 10:50 p.m. and were quickly on the scene. The entire house was ablaze when the firemen arrived and nothing could be done to save the home from destruction.
One of the boys of the family who was asleep in the living room said the fire started when an oil stove exploded. Another theory is that it may have originated from the electric wiring.
~ From the public archives of the Page News and Courier
Be the first to comment