~ PVN staff report
LURAY, Nov. 2 — Luray High School freshman Davey Johnson came within 30 seconds of a district title in cross country last Wednesday at the New Market Battlefield, and within three seconds of being district-runner-up.
As a freshman in his first year of varsity competition, Johnson placed third in the Bull Run District championship with a time of 18:31. East Rockingham senior George Austin III won the boys cross country district title with a time of 18:01, followed by Clarke County’s Callaway Beckett in second place at 18:28. Luke Ellis of Rappahannock (19:05) and Scout Foskett of Madison (19:12) rounded out the top five.
Among other top 50 finishers from the county in the boys cross country district championship were:
• 8th — Jadon Huffman, senior, Page County High School (19:17);
• 14th — Kylar Sullivan, junior, PCHS (19:52)
• 18th — Logan Heiston, junior, PCHS (20:17)
• 22nd — AJ Bosley, freshman, PCHS (20:25)
• 24th — Calder Liscomb, senior, LHS (20:35)
• 26th — Conner Janney, junior, LHS (20:42)
• 29th — Josh Nuckols, sophomore, LHS (20:52)
• 31st — Luke Whitlock, senior, LHS (21:00)
• 34th — Brayden McKay, junior, PCHS (21:40)
• 42nd — Adam Short, junior, PCHS (22:56)
• 47th — Sean Cave, sophomore, PCHS (24:05)
• 48th — Michael Hite, junior, LHS (24:06)
• 49th — Jackson George, freshman, LHS (24:17)
East Rockingham claimed the boys cross country team title for the Bull Run District, followed by Clarke in second and Madison in third. Page and Luray finished fourth and fifth in the district, respectively.
In the girls cross country district championship, the top local finisher was Page County sophomore Summer Kite, who came in 13th with a time of 24:47. Madison County’s Kate McLearen won the Bull Run District title with a time of 20:50, followed by Strasburg’s Claire Keefe at 22:11. Madison’s Abigail Patterson (22:35), Clarke’s Teya Starley (22:55) and Central’s Asia Hoover (23:20) rounded out the top five.
Among other top 50 finishers from the county in the girls cross country district championship were:
• 16th — Lele Warrick, senior, LHS (25:11)
• 23rd — Kiera Heiston, sophomore, PCHS (27:58)
• 33rd — Hailey Williams, freshman, LHS (29:18)
• 37th — Erin Savedge, junior, LHS (30:02)
• 42nd — Emily McCoy, senior, PCHS (31:10)
• 46th — Evelyn Keyser, senior, PCHS (33:44)
• 50th — Telsie Williams, senior,. PCHS (39:34)
Clarke County claimed the Bull Run District team title in girls cross country, followed by Central in second and Madison in third.
The Region B cross country championships will be held at 3:30 p.m. (girls) and 4:15 p.m. (boys) on Wednesday, Nov. 3 at the North Street Cross Country Course in Woodstock among nine competing schools.
For full schedules, rosters and standings — check out the Bull Run District website.