Droves of Republicans and Independents have declared they can’t bring themselves to vote for our President: ranging from Rev. Billy Graham’s kin
and 1,600 faith leaders
to a majority of active duty troops
from the national groundswell of “Republican Voters against Trump” (Rvat.org) to leading Republicans like Trump’s prior Secretary of Defense, General James Mattis
former Secretary of State, General Colin Powell; former Head of the Republican National Committee, Michael Steele; and CIA Director Michael Hayden
Why? Is it because:
- Some who voted for Trump in 2016 expected experienced advisers would moderate and guide him, but now realize he ignores, insults and fires advisers. See, https://www.brookings.edu/research/tracking-turnover-in-the-trump-administration/
- Or because under his leadership, Covid has killed 225,000 (and counting) Americans, sickened or infected millions more, derailed businesses and schools and destroyed millions of jobs. Meanwhile he mocks face masks, calls America’s top infectious disease doctor an “idiot” and “disaster” (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY7_B7Gm0sI) and–after learning last January the lethality of Covid– told us it’s a hoax and would miraculously disappear
- Our country sorely needs a uniter, not a divider
- Conservative voters want fiscal responsibility, not the highest national debt in U.S. history
- Our kids and grandkids need an example of decency
- Our troops need a leader who supports them, instead of calling fallen soldiers “losers” and “suckers,” (https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/09/trump-americans-who-died-at-war-are-losers-and-suckers/615997/), attacking Gold Star Families, remaining mute as Putin puts bounties on our soldiers and disparaging PoW Senator McCain
- Or because we want a leader who respects people, instead of labelling African nations “s-hole countries” https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/trump-referred-haiti-african-countries-shithole-nations-n836946), calling Neo-Nazis in Charlottesville who chant anti-Semitic slogans “very fine people,” telling women in Congress to go back where you came from (https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/trump-referred-haiti-african-countries-shithole-nations-n836946) and White Supremacist Proud Boys to “stand by”
- Dealing with climate change requires facts and science
- We need truth, not over 20,000 documented lies
It’s because of all that—and more.
Skip Halpern ~ Luray, Va.
PageValleyNews.com offers an open forum for the public in its LETTERS section. We encourage letters of local interest by those who live in Page County, Va.; however, we welcome all letters on all subjects from all readers. PVN reserves the right to publish letters at its discretion.
SUBMIT LETTERS TO: firstname.lastname@example.org