Fire averted at taxi stand

Luray panoramic

June 11, 1964 — Timely detection, coupled with prompt action of the Luray Fire Department, prevented a serious fire from breaking out in the Luray Taxi stand building near the Page Theatre, Monday night.

A fire was discovered in the basement used as storage space in the old frame building and was confined to a small area. The taxi quarters on the first floor and unoccupied apartments on the second floor suffered some smoke damage.

Herman Swertfeger, manager of the Page Theatre, discovered the fire as he was closing the theatre for the night about 10:45 p.m. At the time smoke was pouring from the basement opening and eaves. He turned in the fire alarm.

The Luray Fire Department was quickly on the scene and extinguished the blaze before it spread through the floor or to the walls.

It appears the fire started on a shelf in the basement a few feet below the first floor. A portion of a partition was burned away and joists and floor boards were considerably charred. 

~ From the public archives of the Page News and Courier


TODAY IN HISTORY ~ Check the date of the story you just read!

Top Post Ad

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.