House fire causes $100,000 in damage, 5 pets perish, but smoke alarm saves a life

Stanley News is sponsored by:

Stanley fire_Barney

~ Press release provided by the Stanley Volunteer Fire Department, Co. 24

STANLEY — Fire Chief Terry A. Pettit stated that the Stanley Fire Department responded to a house fire located at 172 Barney Lane north of Stanley at 11:52 p.m. on Wednesday, July 7.

Chief Pettit reported that when firefighters arrived heavy smoke was coming from the kitchen area, and even though the fire was contained to the kitchen, the house sustained significant damage.  

The home’s owner, Clara Jones, was asleep at the time, but was able to escape the blaze when the smoke alarm woke her up. Jones had to pass by the fire in the kitchen to get out of the house.

Chief Pettit stated this was an excellent example that working smoke alarms save lives. He also stated that he is proud to say that the alarm was placed in the home years ago by Co. 24 member Keith Higgs through the smoke alarm program the Stanley Fire Department supports.       

No injuries were reported, but two dogs and three cats did perish in the fire. Pettit estimated the damage at $100,000, and stated that the house is insured.

The fire started from electrical wiring around the hot water heater.

Five Stanley units and 20 firefighters responded to the call and had it under control in about 30 minutes, but they remained on the scene for about two hours.

The Stanley Rescue Squad and the Page County Sheriff’s Office also assisted at the scene.   

•••

RELATED ARTICLES

Stanley’s Co. 24 answered 35 calls in April

Sunday’s storm leaves a mark

Blaze consumes home on Mill Creek Road

Stanley firefighters extinguish blaze at Hunts Run Farm

Stanley’s Co. 24 answered 42 calls in February

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*