~ PVN staff report
LURAY, Sept. 22 — While in-person instruction is expected to resume tomorrow (Thursday) at Luray Middle School and Shenandoah Elementary, the closure of Luray Elementary due to reported cases of COVID-19 and quarantine restrictions due to exposure will be extended through the end of the week.
Students are currently expected to return to class on Monday, Sept. 27.
“In reviewing health data for students and staff and staff capacity levels for Luray Elementary School, and speaking with the Lord Fairfax Health Department, the decision has been made to continue the closure of Luray Elementary School through Friday, Sept. 24, 2021,” reads a letter distributed yesterday (Tuesday) by Dr. Antonia Fox, superintendent of Page County Public Schools.
“PCPS continues to encourage everyone to monitor for symptoms of COVID-19,” the letter continues. “If symptoms do arise, it is recommended that you isolate and consult with your local health care provider for additional guidance.”
As of Wednesday afternoon, the PCPS COVID dashboard showed a total of 128 cases of COVID-19 reported division-wide among students and staff since local schools opened their doors on Aug. 23. Of those cases, 57 remain active, with 42 among students and 15 reported by staff.
Luray Elementary has reported 14 cases of COVID-19, according to the dashboard, with eight cases currently active — six cases among students and two among staff. The highest number of cases have been reported at the county’s two middle schools, with LMS reporting 25 cases and PCMS reporting 21. Both Luray High School and Shenandoah Elementary have reported 20 cases each.
Students at Luray Elementary School should adhere to the following schedule to continue remote learning through the end of the week:
Thursday, September 23, 2021
• PreK – 2nd grade — Teachers will communicate to parents if the pick-up of additional materials is necessary in the main office between the hours of 8 a.m. and 4 p.m.
• Grades 3rd-5th — Continue to log into Schoology to access and complete assignments as well as participate in daily live instruction through Google Meet. These live sessions will be recorded and uploaded to Schoology to be viewed at a later time for students who do not have Internet access.
• PreK-5th grade — Meal packages are available for pick-up in the main lobby between the hours of 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. If parents or guardians have any questions or concerns in regard to meal pick up, please contact the Nutritional Services Department at (540) 743-6533.
Friday, September 24, 2021
• Parents/Guardians of PreK – 2nd students should continue to access Class Dojo to view supplemental/support of learning material provided by teachers.
• Students in grades 3rd – 5th should continue to log into Schoology to access and complete assignments as well as participate in daily live instruction through Google Meet. These live sessions will be recorded and uploaded to Schoology to be viewed at a later time for students who do not have Internet access.
Monday, September 27, 2021
• Anticipated return of students in grades PreK-5th for those who are not isolated, quarantined or symptomatic. Students or staff who have COVID symptoms should not come to school or work.
“As we have shared, as a division PCPS understands the incredible challenges a school closure creates for families,” Dr. Fox stated in her Sept. 21 letter. “This decision has been made with safety first and with a great deal of thought and care for everyone in the Luray Community.”
“PCPS will continue to communicate with faculty, staff and families over the next few days to provide additional information and updates. Thank you for your continued patience as we navigate the ongoing challenges of COVID-19.”