August 1, 1889 — The large and handsome building of the Luray Female Institute is almost completed.
The work reflects credit upon the builders, Messrs. C.L.&N.R. Proctor, and if anything could add to their reputation in the Valley either for nice work or promptness of execution this would do it.
They always have about all they can do, and the secret of their success is found in their motto: “Good work quickly done at a low price.”
The building itself is the most imposing in town save one — graceful in architectural proportion, tastefully painted, and commanding position.
For comfortable arrangement it is unsurpassed — rooms large, well ventilated, and uniform temperature secured throughout the year by the use of hot air pipes with which the building is supplied.
~ From the public archives of the Page News and Courier