October 17, 1889 — About 8 o’clock last Sunday morning the Masonic Hall was discovered to be on fire, and the alarm being given, by prompt action of the large crowd that soon responded, the flames were brought under control and the building saved with but slight damage.
The fire originated in the floor of the second story, burning out a part of it and extending up the window frame to the ceiling.
How it originated is a mystery, as there had been no fire in the building for six months, though it is generally believed that it caught probably from a match dropped on the floor.
~ From the public archives of the Page News and Courier
TODAY IN HISTORY is a feature of PageValleyNews.com
~ Check the date of the story you just read!
Be the first to comment