~ PVN staff report
LURAY, Feb. 18 — For the third year in-a-row, Luray’s Emilee Weakley was voted the Bull Run District’s “Player of the Year” in girls basketball, while Tyler Nickel of East Rockingham won the same honor again on the boys side. All-District selections were announced after Friday night’s championship games, following voting by district coaches earlier this week.
Weakley has signed with Div-II Shepherd University to play basketball next season, while Nickel is committed to the D-I Tarheels of North Carolina.
Nine county players received All-District honors, including five Bulldogs and four Panthers.
Weakley was joined on the girls first team by junior Jaidyn McClung, who was also the Region B volleyball “Player of the Year” in the fall. Luray senior Averie Alger earned second team honors. Luray (22-2) will host eighth-seeded Stuarts Draft (6-11) for a Region B quarterfinal at 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday.
Page County senior Caris Lucas earned first team, All-District honors for girls basketball, while sophomore Adryn Martin earned second team honors. The Panthers (9-13) will travel to Buckingham County (19-0) Tuesday night for a Region B quarterfinal.
Page County’s Ricky Campbell earned a spot on the first-team, All-District boys’ squad, while teammate Dylan Hensley earned second team honors. The two seniors lead the Panthers in scoring this season, with Campbell surpassing 1,000 career points. Page County (9-14) will head to Madison County (12-11) on Tuesday night for a 6:30 p.m. quarterfinal round tip-off in the Region B tournament.
From the Luray boys team, senior Calder Liscomb and sophomore Christian Lentz earned second team honors. The Bulldogs have concluded their season at 4-18.
Below is a full listing of the Bull Run All-District selections:
Bull Run All-District Girls Basketball
- Emilee Weakley, senior, Luray
- Macy Smith, sophomore, Strasburg
- Jaidyn McClung, junior, Luray
- Ellie Brumback, senior, Clarke
- Caris Lucas, senior, Page County
- Makenna Painter, sophomore, Central
- Dy’Ehisa Tyler, senior, Madison
- Nyla Sperry, senior, Strasburg
- Keira Rohrbach, junior, Clarke
- Averie Alger, senior, Luray
- Kate McLearen, senior, Madison
- Emma Eberly, senior, Central
- Tori Atkins, senior, Rappahannock
- Adryn Martin, sophomore, Page County
- Bre Franklin, junior, Mountain View
- Haley Lucas, freshman, East Rockingham
Player of the Year — Emilee Weakley, senior, Luray
Bull Run All-District Boys Basketball
- Tyler Nickel, senior, East Rockingham
- Ricky Campbell, senior, Page County
- Dean Breeden, senior, Madison
- Cooper Keyes, senior, East Rockingham
- Ryan Barr, senior, Central of Woodstock
- Parker Sheetz, senior, Central of Woodstock
- Mason Ramey, senior, Rappahannock
- Grant Lillard, senior, Rappahannock
- Walker Conrad, sophomore, Strasburg
- Jackson Taylor, senior, Madison
- Jacob Walters, senior, Central of Woodstock
- Cordell Broy, senior, Clarke
- Calder Liscomb, senior, Luray
- Dylan Hensley, senior, Page County
- Christian Lentz, sophomore, Luray
- Bryce Breeden, sophomore, Madison
Player of the Year — Tyler Nickel, senior, East Rockingham
For full schedules, rosters and standings — check out the Bull Run District website.
Luray wins Bull Run tournament with 62-48 victory over Clarke in championship
Bulldogs headed to Bull Run title game after 68-44 win over Central
Luray girls advance to district semifinals, three local teams stumble in first round
Luray ends regular season 19-2 and heads into postseason ranked No. 2 in 2A
Panthers pull out win at Luray to host district quarterfinal, Campbell hits 1,000
Panthers pull out 4th quarter win, 65-56, over cross-county rival Luray
Weakley surpasses 2,000 career points in Bulldogs’ 66-43 win over rival Panthers
Be the first to comment