Fire in town

Luray museum

December 11, 1890About 11 o’clock last Tuesday night fire broke out in Messrs. Yowell and Judd’s harness shop, East Main Street, destroying the greater portion of their stock, and badly damaging the building occupied by them.

When the fire was discovered the room was full of smoke and blaze, in a smothered condition, which would have burned like a straw stack could it have gotten any draft.

Prompt work saved the building and confined it to the room in which it originated.

It is fearful to contemplate the destruction that would have been wrought had it not been discovered as soon as it was.

Messrs. Yowell and Judd were insured in the Continental for $500. 

~ From the public archives of the Page News and Courier

Top Post Ad

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.