~ Press release issued by Stanley Fire Department
STANLEY, April 11 — Chief Terry A. Pettit reported that the Stanley Fire Department was called to a house fire at 5:49 a.m. Saturday morning.
Pettit reported that the two-story, wood-frame home at 140 Fox Drive off of Aylor Grubbs Avenue had fire coming out of the roof when firefighters arrived on the scene four minutes later. The fire was spotted by a nearby resident who was going by and noticed smoke coming out of the roof.
Once on the scene, it was determined that the occupants may still be in the house and a search was begun. After entering the home firefighters found 62-year-old Debbie Fox still asleep in the upstairs bedroom bed while the attic was on fire above her.
Firefighters were able to lead her to safety. Once outside, she reported that husband, Bobby, was at his mother’s house.
Chief Pettit stated that it took 20 minutes to bring the fire under control, but firefighters remained on the scene for three hours to make sure the fire was out.
The house sustained extensive fire damage to the attic, with other portions of the house sustaining smoke and water damage. Estimated damage is around $200,000.00 and the house is insured, according to Chief Pettit.
The husband and wife will be staying with relatives.
Pettit stated that it appears the fire started from an electrical short in the attic.
Three Page County EMS units also responded, but no injuries were reported.
Aylor Grubbs Avenue was shut down due to supply lines in the street from fire hydrants, and the Page County Sheriff’s Office assisted with traffic control.
Chief Pettit praised all the firefighters for their great job with getting Mrs. Fox safely out of the house and quickly bringing the fire under control.