~ Press release submitted by the Stanley Volunteer Fire Department
STANLEY, March 14 — Fire Chief Terry A. Pettit reported that for the second day in a row the Stanley Fire Department was called for an apartment fire. The second one occurred around 9:37 p.m. Tuesday night at the Brady Road Apartments, a 15-unit, two-story complex located at 952 Brady Road.
Chief Pettit stated that firefighters were on the scene within five minutes and were faced with one lower floor apartment on fire and smoke extending into five other units.
Chief Pettit stated that the smoke alarms going off alerted the occupants to the fire and all of the approximately 20 residents were evacuated safely. Due to cold weather, Pettit said that rescue squads were called in from the Page County EMS, Stanley Rescue Squad and Luray Rescue Squad so that residents could be placed in the units to keep warm.
The occupant of the lower apartment that was on fire — Franklin Moody — was not at home at the time of the fire, and firefighters were able to contain the blaze to the one apartment. Moody’s dog was still in the apartment and was quickly found by firefighters, but despite efforts by EMS to revive him, the dog succumbed to his injures.
The apartments are owned by Johnny Cubbage of Stanley, and they are insured. Moody did not have insurance for his belongings and is being assisted by the American Rescue Cross. Estimated damage is around $50,000. The fire started in the bedroom near a nightstand and appears to be from an electrical short; however, an investigation is still ongoing.
Six units and 25 firefighters from the Stanley Fire Department responded to the call, and it took about 20 minutes to bring the fire under control. Firefighters remained on the scene for two hours two make sure the fire was out.
The Page County Sheriff’s Office, Stanley Police Department and Virginia State Police also assisted with traffic control. Brady Road was closed for about two hours.
Follow Co. 24 on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/SVFD24