Two brothers injured in mobile home fire

Stanley News is sponsored by: Town Of Stanley

K_Phoebe Lane Fire-toned

~ Press release submitted by Stanley Fire Department on May 23

STANLEY, May 21 — Fire Chief Terry A. Pettit reported the Stanley Fire Department was called to a mobile home fire at 1:53 a.m. Thursday morning at 1353 Phoebe Lane about three miles west of Stanley.

Fire was showing from the entire home when firefighters arrived. The home is considered a total loss.

The two occupants — 27-year-old Darrell Freeze and 20-year-old Christian Freeze (brothers) — were able to escape the blaze, but both were injured. 

Darrell suffered burns to his legs, arms and hands; while Christian suffered cuts to his hands. 

Chief Pettit said it appears the fire started when something on the kitchen stove caught fire and then quickly spread throughout the trailer.

Darrell suffered burns while attempting to extinguish the blaze. With no success, he was able to escape through the front door, and then helped his brother Christian escape through the bedroom window where he received the cuts.

Firefighters were able to keep the fire from spreading to a nearby residence, which was only 10 feet away.

There was no insurance on the home, and the Page County Sheriff’s Office is assisting with the investigation.

Both men were transported to Sentara RMH by Page County EMS, where Darrell was treated and transferred to the VCU Health’s Evans-Haynes Burn Center in Richmond. Christian was treated and has been released. 

Chief Pettit reported the damage at around $30,000.

Twenty- four fire firefighters and five units from the Stanley Fire Department responded to the blaze. It took about 30 minutes to bring the blaze under control. Firefighters remained on the scene for three hours to make sure the fire was out. 

Two Page County EMS units responded, along with the Page County Sheriff’s Office who assisted with traffic control.

Top Post Ad

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.