~ PVN staff report
SHENANDOAH — During its meeting Tuesday night, the Shenandoah Council got a preview of the lineup for the 2022 Memorial Day Festival. Many of the traditional favorites are scheduled for Friday, May 27 and Saturday, May 28, with a few new events mixed in as well.
The Town of Shenandoah’s annual festival kicks off two weeks early with the Memorial Festival Pageant beginning at 11 a.m. on Sunday, May 15 at the Grove Hill Community Center.
The Cruz-in on First Street gets things started on Memorial Day Weekend from 6 to 8 p.m. Friday, May 27. Also on Friday, Boy Scout Troop 8 will conduct a Flag Retirement Ceremony from 7 to 8:30 p.m. at Veterans Park.
A total of eight different events are planned for Saturday, May 28, beginning with a Yard and Bake Sale that gets underway at 8 a.m. and runs through 1 p.m. at the Shenandoah Pentecostal Holiness Church.
The annual Memorial Service will once again be lead by Mayor Clinton Lucas from 10 to 11 a.m. at the Shenandoah VFW. A Tractor Show will be on display at the Carnival Grounds from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., and a Book Sale will take place at the Shenandoah Library from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Two new events this year — a Children’s Parade and a Memorial Walk — will take place at Town parks after lunchtime. The Children’s Parade will start at 1 p.m. at the River Park, while the Memorial Walk will start at 2 p.m. in Big Gem Park.
The annual parade returns to First Street at 4 p.m. on Saturday, May 28, followed by a Car Show along First Street from 6 to 9 p.m.
For more information about Memorial Day Weekend activities in Shenandoah contact Town Hall at (540) 652-8164 or call Nancy Karnes at (540) 742-1141.
For parade entries call Brenda Haggett (540) 742-4081.
In other business at its April 26 meeting, the Shenandoah Council took the following actions:
• Approved the purchase of three fire extinguishers, plus shipping, installation, and servicing the existing fire extinguisher in the gym by Racer’s Fire Extinguisher, LLC in the amount of $1,620.66 for 507 First Street. Payment will be from the ARPA funds already budgeted for The Railroad Museum/Welcome Center.
• Approved a 12’ x 12’ asphalt repair by Hensil Good Paving in the Town Hall parking lot in the amount of $900. Payment will be from the Capital Outlay Street Improvement budgeted line item.
• Approved the Standard Allowance/Revenue Recovery option for reporting requirements for the American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) funds. This is an option for localities who received less than $10 million to simplify reporting.
• Heard Nathaniel Brewer’s Eagle Scout project is awaiting approval from the Boy Scout Council before he can start on the 12’ x 20’ shelter at Shenandoah Landing and River Park.
• Approved a donation of $75 for the Vickie Green Memorial Foundation’s 3rd annual golf tournament. Payment will be from the General Fund Scholastic Donations budgeted line item. The tournament will raise money to offer a scholarship at Page County High School. The tournament will be on June 18 at the Caverns Country Club. For more information call Tanner Dofflemyer at (540) 383-5573 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Received a flyer about the Discovery Hike new event taking place in Big Gem Park on the Clinton Lucas, Jr. Trail on May 21 from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. All ages are welcome to join in the hike. The hike will be led by Mara Meisel, a retired Shenandoah National Park Ranger-Naturalist with 30 years of experience. Ms. Meisel will be pointing out the native and non-native plants and the wildlife along the trail. The Clinton Lucas, Jr. Trail is a 1-mile loop trail and is rocky and uneven with an elevation gain of about 100 feet, so wear sturdy shoes. Don’t forget to bring your sunscreen, bug spray, and binoculars. No pets.
For more information about events in the Town of Shenandoah, visit their WEBSITE.
WigWam Village improvements, contracts, budget and other news from Shenandoah
Shenandoah holds tax rates heading into FY23 budget and other news around town
Police looking into golf cart ordinance and other news from Shenandoah
Be the first to comment